CHAPTER 2 – STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES AND VISION & MISSIONS OF The NATIONAL DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS POLICY
Details of the Section
The National Digital Communications Policy, 2018 seeks to unlock the transformative power of digital communications networks - to achieve the goal of digital empowerment and well being of the people of India; and towards this end, attempts to outline a set of goals, initiatives, strategies and intended policy outcomes.
The National Communications Policy aims to accomplish the following Strategic Objectives by 2022:
- 1. Provisioning of Broadband for All
- 2. Creating 4 Million additional jobs in the Digital Communications sector
- 3. Enhancing the contribution of the Digital Communications sector to 8% of India’s GDP from ~ 6% in 2017
- 4. Propelling India to the Top 50 Nations in the ICT Development Index of ITU from 134 in 2017
- 5. Enhancing India’s contribution to Global Value Chains
- 6. Ensuring Digital Sovereignty
Details of the Section
To fulfil the information and communication needs of citizens and enterprises by establishment of a ubiquitous, resilient, secure and affordable Digital Communications Infrastructure and Services; and in the process, support India’s transition to a digitally empowered economy and society.Missions
In pursuit of accomplishing these objectives by year 2022, the National Digital Communications Policy, 2018 envisages three Missions:
- 1. Connect India: Creating Robust Digital Communications Infrastructure To promote Broadband for All as a tool for socio-economic development, while ensuring service quality and environmental sustainability.
- 2. Propel India: Enabling Next Generation Technologies and Services through Investments, Innovation and IPR generation To harness the power of emerging digital technologies, including 5G, AI, IoT, Cloud and Big Data to enable provision of future ready products and services; and to catalyse the fourth industrial revolution (Industry 4.0) by promoting Investments, Innovation and IPR.
- 3. Secure India: Ensuring Sovereignty, Safety and Security of Digital Communications To secure the interests of citizens and safeguard the digital sovereignty of India with a focus on ensuring individual autonomy and choice, data ownership, privacy and security; while recognizing data as a crucial economic resource.