Indian Railways’ (IR), Asia’s oldest1, the world’s second largest under one management2 and the world’s fourth largest 3(after USA, Russia and China) under any form of management, second only to that of China. IR network comprises about 8500 stations, runs nearly 21000 trains, serves around 2.3 crore passengers and transports 30 lakh tons of freight per day 4.Operations of the Indian Railways (IR) are overseen by Ministry of Railways (MoR), Government of India (GoI) and 16 Zonal Railways.
IR seeks to transform the design, functionality, operation and maintenance of railway stations to create modern, integrated, seamless transportation hubs and lively urbanspaces.IR has entrusted Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Limited (IRSDC), a deemed govt. company , with this mammoth task.
THE SRIJAN COMPETITION
IRSDC in partnership with MyGov, is launching a first-of-its-kind idea crowdsourcing competition– SRIJAN(Station Rejuvenation Initiative by Joint Action) to invite innovative, scalable, low-cost and high-impact ideas (ideally, retrofits minimizing significant construction work and/or capital cost unless justified by the value proposition) from stakeholders for upgrading the look and feel of the railway stations and thereby transform the functional utility, raise the revenue generation capacity and lower operations and maintenance cost of railway stations in the IR network.
Rewards and Benefits of Participating in ‘SRIJAN’
‘SRIJAN’ is an unprecedented opportunity, as arguably, it shall be the world’s largest-ever transit-oriented-development and multi-modal-integration station development initiative encompassing more than 600 stations, to begin with. The winners shall receive letters of commendation, and due credits shall be given when the idea is implemented.
Further, the participants shortlisted in ‘SRIJAN’ may be given the opportunity to professionally associate with IRSDC.
IRSDC’s 7 ‘C’s
IRSDC guiding principles of station redevelopment are the 7 ‘C’s Shown in Figure
Vision of ‘SRIJAN’
Participants may be guided by the tag cloud in Figure as indicative of the vision of SRIJAN.
How to Participate in ‘SRIJAN’
Choose/ Enter the name of the station for which you wish to give your idea. If you don’t choose a specific station, it shall be deemed that you wish to submit a generic idea applicable across different stations of the network of IR.
Choose the category (explained in next section) in which you think your idea belongs. If your category is not listed, then select ‘Others’.
Describe your idea and how (including cost and savings, if possible) it would be implemented in the field (in not more than 2500 characters). You may add supporting document in .PDF format in support of your idea within 8 MB.
Important notes : Multiple entries are accepted.
Categories of SRIJAN
- Revenue Generation : raising the current earnings of the station.
- Cost Reduction : optimizing the cost of running stations in intangible processes such as supply chain management, human resource management etc.
- Energy Conservation : embedding green building and sustainability ideas into the railway station.
- Circulation Area Improvement : improvement of parking area, enhancement of space for pedestrians to walk.
- Integration of Railway Station with other Modes of Transport : integration and space for drop-off / pick-up by various modes of transport (auto-rickshaw, taxi, bus, personal vehicle, etc.).
- Accessibility (Divyang friendly features) : creating accessible entrances/ exits, stairs, lifts, platform, toilets, assistance, information, etc.
- Lively Urban Spaces : creation public spaces that add to the vibrancy of the station.
- Cleanliness / Housekeeping : maintenance or management of station premises with respect to cleanliness and housekeeping.
- Heritage Conservation : need for conservation of existing buildings / structures within the station premises.
- Cultural : leveraging on the deep, ancient, rich culture and tradition of Bharatvarsh and integrating it with the stations.
- Artistic / architectural improvement : artistic or architectural interventions in existing station buildings / structures / spaces for improving look and feel.
- Passenger Convenience : amenities (toilets, drinking water, etc.).
- Signage / Information : wayfinding, passenger information display / announcement systems, etc.
- Lighting & Illumination : innovations that enhance visual impact, comfort and utility of stations.
- Stay Arrangement
- Short Term : waiting areas, seating etc.
- Long Term : cloak rooms/lockers, retiring rooms, hotels, etc.
- Specific Areas : improvement of platform floor and passenger shelter, foot over bridges (FOBs) and concourse by embedding sustainability features in the space.
- Catering Facilities : improvements in design, operations,maintenance, facilities and variety of kiosks & stalls.
- Others : please specify
Important notes : participants should explore possibilities of efficient implementation and scalability.
Anybody can participate in this contest.
- Registration Start Date: 26th January, 2018
- Registration End Date: 26th March, 2018
- Announcement of results: To be announced on https://blog.mygov.in, www.facebook.com/IRSDC and www.twitter.com/irsdcinfo at an appropriate date.
All station specific data is publicly available (on an ‘as is where is’ basis) at:
The data may not be complete.
Evaluation Criteria Weightages and Description
|CRITERIA OF EVALUATION BY EVALUATION COMMITTEE
The participants of ‘SRIJAN’ shall ask themselves the following questions to determine their best idea and put their best foot forward:
Does the idea deliver measurable benefits? How distinctive are the benefits? What is the quantum of measurable benefits that it has relative to other ideas or to other commercial available alternatives?
Is the idea low on costs of implementation (capital, running etc.)relative to ideas of other participants or to other alternatives?
Is the idea distinct and innovative? Is the approach fresh? Does the idea address a challenge at the station in a unique way? Is it differentiated from other ideas?
The Jury of SRIJAN
A panel of jury formed by IRSDC shall be of eminent experts from various fields related to a railway station.
Terms and Conditions
- Ideas submitted by different applicants found same or similar to each other shall be disqualified.
- Different ideas submitted by same applicant for same station or different stations found same or similar to each other shall be considered as one “Generic Idea”.
- By making a submission in the contest, all teams warrant and represent that to the best of their knowledge, their submission is original and does not violate or misappropriate any third-party trade secret, “know-how,” copyright, patent or other intellectual property right. Particpants also warrant and represent that there are no obligations of any nature, legal or otherwise, which would prohibit, restrict, or interfere with their participation in the Contest or submission of their design report, and agree to obtain any necessary clearances, authorizations and/or approvals prior to participation.
- All Ideas and documents received by IRSDC by way of this competition will be the property of IRSDC and will not be returned.
- Each Applicant, (individual or representing a team) Participant hereby grant IRSDC and its affiliates a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, and royalty-free right and license to publish/implement their project reports, designs and other information submitted, or any portion or modification thereof, in connection with technical or marketing publications, advertisements or promotional activities, including without limitation Indian Railways or third party technical articles, data sheets, application notes, reference designs or internet publications. IRSDC reserves the right to publish the designs without attribution.
- DATA PROTECTION, CONSENT TO THE USE OF PERSONAL DATA: Personal data (as hereinafter defined) provided by the participant, team and Participant will be used by IRSDC, as well as by other service providers (for e.g. website hosting services) engaged by IRSDC as data processors, for the purpose of the Contest. The Participants and all other participating parties, agree that any personal data, which shall mean any data identifying, without limitation, its owner, by name, NRIC number, correspondence address, email address and contact number (“Personal Data”) which is disclosed by any individual or obtained by the IRSDC or its Contractual Partners, inclusive of their designated vendors (“Workers and Vendors”) prior to or during the course of performance of this Contest, shall be processed, maintained, disclosed or destroyed in accordance with the relevant terms of consent set out in the Contest Terms and Conditions. For the avoidance of doubt, every Participant and individual who submits his or her data for the purpose of participating in this Contest shall be deemed to have given express consent for the processing, use, retention or disclosure of such Personal Data for the purposes set out above.
- NO LICENSES UNDER ANY TECHNOLOGY, TRADE SECRETS, “KNOW-HOW”, OR ANY COPYRIGHTS, PATENTS, TRADEMARKS OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF TI, ITS AFFILIATES OR ANY THIRD PARTY ARE GRANTED TO PARTICIPANTS UNDER THE CONTEST.
- By entering the Contest, each Participant agrees to release IRSDC and its affiliates from and against any losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind arising from (i) an exclusion or disqualification of such Participant pursuant to these Rules; (ii) late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify winners of any prize; (iii) forfeiture of a prize and the selection of an alternate winner; (iv) late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible or unintelligible entries; (v) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties of any kind; (vi) failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions; (vii) any condition caused by events beyond IRSDC’s control that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; and (viii) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind relating to participation in this Contest.
- IRSDC reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or (temporarily) suspend this Contest where required by law or if there is an impediment to the performance of this contract due to a breach by any of the IRSDC’s contractual partners, or a delay in funding, or a force majeure event, or it becomes technically corrupted or if for any reason the Internet portion of the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infections by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond IRSDC’s control, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest. IRSDC further reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify anyone found to have manipulated the Contest or its operation. In addition, IRSDC at its sole discretion may disqualify any Participant at any stage of the Contest without being required to specify any reasons in that regard.
- In respect of any suits, actions, proceedings, claims or disputes in relation to this contest, the courts situated at New Delhi, India shall enjoy sole jurisdiction.
- Individuals, agencies, and associates, its employees currently engaged by Indian Railways or any other subsidiary including IRSDC are allowed to submit their ideas. However, they will not be eligible to receive any awards and associated benefits.
- All Government employees participating in this competition should have prior permission from their employer to participate in this competition.
Registration Form for srijan Competition